All-Time Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Find tips, tricks, and variations on our All-Time Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Inspirations
When Assistant Test Kitchens Director Rebecca Kracke Gordon stirs up one of her special creations, we come running. Crisp and buttery, rich and gooey, big batch or small―one versatile recipe for All-Time Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies delivers them all.
Cookie Dough Freezing Tips
Store cookie dough in an airtight container or zip-top plastic freezer bag, and chill up to three days or freeze up to six months. For slice-and-bake cookies, shape dough into logs, wrap in parchment paper, and place in zip-top plastic freezer bags. Allow frozen dough to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Another option is to use a small ice-cream scoop to shape dough into balls; place on a baking sheet, and freeze until firm. Transfer frozen balls to a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Remove as needed and bake right from the freezer, allowing two to three minutes extra baking time.
Cookie Recipe Add-Ins
All sorts of goodies can be added to Rebecca’s recipe to create other signature cookies. Here are a few of our staff favorites.
- Chocolate Chip-Pretzel Cookies: Prepare recipe as directed, beating in 2 cups coarsely crushed pretzel sticks with morsels.
- Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies: Substitute 1 (12-oz.) package white chocolate morsels, 1 (6-oz.) package sweetened dried cranberries, and 1 cup pistachios for chocolate morsels. Proceed as directed.
- White Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cookies: Prepare recipe as directed, beating in 1 (7-oz.) bag white chocolate-covered mini pretzel twists, coarsely crushed, with morsels.
- Almond-Toffee Cookies: Substitute 6 (1.4-oz.) chopped chocolate-covered toffee candy bars and 1½ cups toasted slivered almonds for chocolate morsels. Proceed as directed.
- Turtle Cookies: Substitute 1 (7-oz.) package milk chocolate-caramel-pecan clusters, coarsely chopped, and 1 (12-oz.) package dark chocolate morsels for semisweet chocolate morsels. Proceed as directed. Note: For testing purposes only, we used Nestlé Turtles.
- Nutty Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: Decrease salt to ½ tsp. Decrease morsels to 1 (12-oz.) package. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter with butter and sugars, and add 1 cup lightly salted peanuts with morsels. Increase flour to 2½ cups plus 2 Tbsp. Proceed as directed. (Dough will look a little moist.)