WATCH: Only Southerners Get These Weird Food Combinations
If a PBB was good enough for Elvis, it's good enough for the rest of us.
We were curious: Just how many unusual food combos have Southerners dreamed up over the years? And we're not talking about your standard bacon-and-egg pairings. No, we're looking for something more innovative. More whimsical. Weird even. To get the conversation started, we consulted our Facebook Brain Trust. Here are some of the unexpected ways they mix it up at mealtime. How about you?
BETWEEN TWO SLICES
Please note: All sandwiches below are made with white bread. Not whole wheat, honey wheat, or cracked wheat. Not French, Italian, or pumpernickel. White bread.
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich
- Jelly and banana sandwich
- Banana and mayo sandwich
- Banana, mayo, and potato chip sandwich
- "M&M" ('mater & mayo) sandwich
- Note: A handful of renegade Southerners replace the white bread on their tomato sandwiches with slices of cornbread. The rest of us keep them on our prayer lists.
- Pineapple and mayo (or Miracle Whip) sandwich
- Flat-out mayo sandwich
SURF & TURF
- Shrimp and grits
- Vienna (pronounced "vie-EE-nah") sausages on saltines slathered with mayo. Acceptable embellishments: onion, Cheddar, and hot sauce
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Peas or pintos with mayo, homemade pepper sauce, and cornbread
- Mayo, vinegar, and cooked mustard greens
- Butterbeans and cornbread
- Fried dill pickles dipped in ranch dressing
- Pound cake and dill pickles
- (Okay, this is a new one on us, but we're intrigued.)
- Tomato aspic (spiced up congealed tomato salad, which might have veggies like bell pepper, onion, and celery inside, as well as olives, depending on your Mama's recipe)
- Pear salad: canned pear halves topped with a dollop of mayo and shredded Cheddar. Acceptable embellishment: one maraschino cherry to top each one
- Heavenly Hash: a combination of canned fruits and fruit juices, mini marshmallows, and whipped cream, all co-mingled and chilled
- Coke and peanuts
- Peach Nehi and peanuts
- RC and Moon Pie
- Buttermilk and cornbread (cornbread crumbled into a glass of buttermilk)
- Milk and crackers (saltines crumbled into a glass of milk)
- Milk and vanilla wafers (same song as above, just sung a little more sweetly)