DIY Potpourri Favors
Our autumn weddings are in full swing, and here at Southern Living, we're loving the deep colors, beautiful backdrops, and charming Fall projects. We’ll be bringing you Southern wedding-related posts—DIY ideas, etiquette tips, real weddings and more.
This week, we've got an adorable wedding favor idea from the Craft Box Girls: DIY Potpourri. Created by Lynn Lilly – a lifelong DIY-er and creative mind behind the growing CBG lifestyle hub – these favors can be adjusted to fit your wedding's theme and colors.
The Project: DIY Potpourri Wedding Favors
Timeline: 1 week prior to wedding
Materials: 12 mini canning jars 3 oranges 3 cups of raspberries 2 cups of strawberries 2 bunches of hydrangea 6 carnations Non-stick baking sheet Lavender essential oil Self stick labels (optional) Washi Tape (optional) Permanent marker (optional)
- Heat oven to 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thinly slice the strawberries and oranges, but keep the raspberries whole. Cut small sections of hydrangeas, and remove the stems from the carnations.
- Place the fruit and flowers on non-stick pans with an inch between each piece. If you aren't using a non-stick pan, make sure to spray them with a thin layer of non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake the fruit and flowers until they are completely dried. This will be around 1.5 hours for flowers, and 4 hours for fruit. Baking your ingredients at a low heat for a long period of time will properly dehydrate them and preserve their natural scent.
- Once all of the ingredients are dehydrated, place them in a large, air-tight container.
- Sprinkle the fruit and flowers with 15-20 drops of lavender essential oil. Seal the container's lid and and shake gently. Keep the container sealed for 24 hours.
- Separate the potpourri into the mini canning jars. Before closing each container lid, add one drop of lavender essential oil. Add a personalized touch to your favors by decorating the top of the lids with labels and washi tape.
Pro Tip: Experiment with different combinations of essential oils to add variety to your potpourri. Adding a few drops of grapefruit essential oil to the lavender creates a fantastic scent combination.