The South's Best New Artisan Ice Creams
We're not just screaming, we're hooting and hollering for some of the South's best new artisan ice creams. Our five favorite pints pack a distinctly Southern flavor punch.
- Roots, Charleston, SC
- Matt Frye uses local milk and fresh produce to churn out peak-of-season varieties such as Sweet Pea sorbet (shown) and Honeysuckle ice cream.
- High Road Craft Ice Cream, Atlanta, GA
- Classic cocktails inspire flavors such as the sweetly spirited Bourbon Burnt Sugar (shown), the peach-scented Bellini, and the citrusy Old Fashioned.
- Sinplicity, Falls Church, VA
- These deliciously dense, gelato-style treats pack layers of velvety complexity: Watermelon Sorbet (shown), made with Prosecco and lime juice.
- The Parlour, Durham, NC
- Made with local fruits and veggies, these scoops are based on old Southern cookbook recipes. Try the Blueberry Buttermilk (shown) or Sweet Potato.
- Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, Nashville, TN
- The cocoa powder in each spoonful of Askinosie Dark Milk Chocolate (shown) is sharp and fruity, blending with the rich buttercream for a voluptuous finish.