The South's Best Summer Camps for Grown-Ups
We're blowing the bugle for Texas-native Wes Anderson and his new summer flick Moonrise Kingdom (out May 25), starring Baltimore-boy Edward Norton as scoutmaster of Camp Ivanhoe. See our salute to camps for adults
- Sirens of the Deep Mermaid Camp, Weeki Wachee, FL
- Slip on a fin and into a Florida natural spring for two days of underwater-ballet instruction from former mermaids at this retro park.
- weekiwachee.com; $350
- Veramar Wine Camp, Berryville, VA
- For three days, stay in an Italian-style villa, help bottle and label wines, blend your own Bordeaux, and enjoy crisp pairings with a five-course Saturday dinner.
- veramar.com; $1,500 per couple
- Surf Camp, Kure Beach, NC
- Over three daytime sessions, you'll learn the fundamentals of longboard riding. Start day one with on-beach training, and spend the rest of camp hanging ten on beginner-size breaks.
- wbsurfcamp.com; $195
- Space Camp, Huntsville, AL
- Complete a space mission, launch a model rocket, and defy gravity in one of the world's largest space museums for three out-of-this-world days. Leave the Moon Boots behind.
- spacecamp.com; $549
- Camp Bluegrass, Levelland, TX
- Bring your own strings for six days of picking with small-class instruction, concerts, and workshops led by former members of Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys in honor of his 100th birthday.
- campbluegrass.com; $425
- Moonshine University, Louisville, KY
- In the new Distilled Spirits Epicenter near Whiskey Row, join a two-hour class (day camp!) or stay the week to learn the art of making moonshine and bourbon.
- ds-epicenter.com; $100