Best New Shop: Max & Company
Shop owner Phoebe Howard creates a new take on Southern classics in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Max & Company
1001 East Morehead Street
Phoebe Howard's fresh take on traditional Southern decorating shows her rare talent for creating timeless, elegant, and truly livable rooms with her signature mix of restrained patterns, natural textures, and soothing colors. Walk through them one by one in her newest stores, Max & Company and Mrs. Howard, housed together in one of Charlotte, North Carolina's treasured historic buildings. Like her other shops in Jacksonville and Atlanta, the feeling is more gracious Southern home than retail space. From the curtain hardware to the table settings, you'll find inspiration in each fully decorated room. We love how artwork and accessories pop against monochromatic backgrounds—Phoebe likes to say she's married to beige but has "affairs with color." For her, it's not about the way a room looks, but the way you feel while you're in it.
- 5 More New Favorite Shops
- Clothing: Ann Mashburn, well-edited and sophisticated fashion classics (Atlanta, GA; annmashburn.com).
- Stationery: Rifle, the first bricks-and-mortar location for this stellar note card designer (Winter Park, FL; riflepaperco.com).
- Provisions: Ellerbe Fine Foods, a foodie's general store (Fort Worth, TX; ellerbefinefoods.com). arts & Crafts: Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, a modish gift shop that celebrates Virginia artisans (Richmond, VA; vmfa.museum).
- Lifestyle: Bee, proving you don't have to sacrifice style for an eco-sensitive living space (Atlanta, GA; bee-atlanta.com).