Honeymooners love this charming mountain village for its shops,restaurants, and stroll-friendly sidewalks.
Cabins here have big views, but also windy roads. Attractions include the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies and Ober Gatlinburg (skiing in winter, ice skating year-round). Alcohol is sold here; outside of Gatlinburg city limits, restaurants can't sell anything stronger than beer or wine coolers (though you can bring your own.)
1. Aunt Bug's: www.auntbug.com or (865) 908-4948
- Highlights: Unusual features, including indoor pools, climbing walls, Internet access, and streamside cabins.
- Individual cabins: 130 log cabins scattered throughout Pigeon Forge, with a few in Gatlinburg and Sevierville. Some rentals located above the ski slopes on Ski Mountain (where most rentals are chalets).
- Location: Ski Mountain, near Dollywood, Wears Valley, The Spur, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg
- Price of one-bedroom cabin: $100-$240, plus $15 cleaning fee (varies by size; $15 for each additional bedroom) and $45 reservation fee
2. Gatlinburg Falls Resort (Editor's Choice―family resort): www.gatlinburgfalls.com or 1-800-836-8600
- Highlights: Best game rooms around with arcade games, pool tables, extra space, and a few private movie theaters. Attentive service, great perks, top-notch cleanliness. (We spied housekeepers cleaning behind the fridge.) Small community pool with waterfall. Some units are pet friendly.
- Resort: 116 cabins, ranging from 1 to 9 bedrooms (sleeps up to 32), built closely. Spacious floor plans, modern décor, ample balcony space. Nice hillside views. Easy roads. On-site maintenance and front desk.
- Location: Just off stoplight #1 as you enter Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge. Only five minutes from town.
- Price of one-bedroom cabin: $115-$350, plus $25-$75 cleaning fee (varies by cabin size) and $25 hot tub fee; no reservations fee
3. Greenbrier Realty and Rentals: www.welovegatlinburg.com or 1-800-546-1144
- Highlights: Reasonable prices and a pleasant, off-the-beaten-path location. Near Bent Creek Golf Course, an 18-hole course designed by Gary Player. Tennis court, three outdoor pools, 24-hour security. Close to two entrances to the national park. Family-owned company in 21st year. Wireless Internet access in most homes.
- Individual cabins: 68 cabins, with 1 to 11 bedrooms (sleeps 34 people). Many have a bit more acreage and privacy. Ask about streamside cabins.
- Location: In the Village of Cobbly Nob, a quiet community near Pittman Center and Bent Creek Golf Course off U.S. 321 north of Gatlinburg.
- Price of one-bedroom: $90-$125. Reservation fee: $33; no hot tub or cleaning fee.
4. Hickory Mist: www.hickorymist.com or 1-877-462-6478
- Highlights: Luxury services and amenities. Some properties feature pools, wireless Internet, or movie theaters. Special services include concierge, doorstep deliveries, fridge stocking, and in-house chef. It's best to call ahead for some of the luxury services. Some units are pet friendly.
- Individual cabins: 80-100 rentals from 1 to 9 bedrooms, scattered throughout Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
- Location: Gatlinburg, The Spur, Cobbly Nob, Wears Valley, Pigeon Forge.
- Price of one-bedroom cabin: $140-$275, plus a $45 cleaning fee (varies by size) and $35 processing fee. Ask about specials when you call or visit the Web site.
5. Jackson Mountain Homes (Editor's Choice―romantic retreat): www.jacksonmountain.com or 1-800-473-3163
- Highlights: Wide range of attractive, well-appointed cabins with one to eight bedrooms (sleeps up to 30) that appeals to both couples and big groups. Professional service from a respected company. Emphasis on cleanliness. High decor standards. Some homes with free long distance calling and high-speed internet.
- Individual cabins: Around 167 scattered throughout Gatlinburg and outside the city limits. Tip: Ask about cabins in Pinnacle Vista, a secluded area off U.S. 321 with spectacular views and spacious lots. In Gatlinburg, Appalachian Lodge is a stunner.
- Location: Gatlinburg, Cobbly Nob, Pittman Center, Pinnacle Vista, Arts & Crafts Community.
- Price of one-bedroom cabin: $100-$180, plus $55 reservation fee and $150 credit card hold; no cleaning or hot tub fees
6. Mountain Rentals of Gatlinburg (Editor's Choice―budget resort): www.mountainchalets.com or 1-800-446-9205
- Highlights: Super prices and flat rates―no hidden fees or extra costs. Charming individualized properties with lot of character. Great off-season specials (January-April)―fourth night free, two free nights with seven-day stay.
- Individual cabins: 285 individually owned cabins (and some chalets) scattered throughout Gatlinburg. Range from one to eight bedrooms.
- Location: Many on Ski Mountain, others in downtown Gatlinburg, Pittman Center, Wiley, Okley, and Arts & Crafts Community
- Price of one-bedroom cabin: $95-$135, plus $35 registration fee. No cleaning fee.
7. Sugar Maple Cabins: 1-877-237-9055; www.sugarmaplecabins.com
- Highlights: Luxury cabins with contemporary decor. A few select cabins offer stunning 270-degree views of Mount LeConte and the national park. Very nice variety of homes and locations. cabins. Pet-friendly options. Online discounts and seasonal specials.
- Individual cabins: 121 cabins scattered throughout with up to 8 bedrooms (biggest sleeps 32). Some more secluded than others.
- Location: Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, and outlying areas.
- Price of one-bedroom cabin: $135-$330, plus a cleaning fee (varies by size), $45 reservation fee, $20 hot tub fee
8. Timber Tops: www.yourcabin.com or 1-800-266-1066
- Highlights: Huge selection of cabins in various price ranges. Free long distance and local phone calls. Luxury amenities including Xbox, PS2, home theaters, Internet access. Specials for AAA, repeat guests. High level of service, with one staffer for every three cabins. In-room massages by appointment.
- Individual cabins: 400-plus units scattered throughout Pigeon Forge, Wears Valley, with a few in Gatlinburg. Some located in resort developments, others more secluded. Some narrow roads. Cabins range from one to eight bedrooms (biggest sleeps 26).
- Location: Pigeon Forge, Wears Valley, Sevierville, Gatlinburg, and Arts & Crafts Community
- Price of one-bedroom cabin: $120-$165, plus $35 registration fee