Although it is more than 2,000 miles away from South Carolina, Barbados is accessible through several airlines, and offers a variety of hotels and restaurants. Here are our recommendations.
Barbados is 1,600 miles south of Miami, requiring a full day of travel from many places. You can take U.S. Airways and Air Jamaica through Montego Bay. American and BWIA fly from Miami. Airfare and room rates are highest December-April; summer and early autumn bring the best prices. Car rental companies are all local; have your hotel make a reservation for you.
Barbados' Web site offers general information at www.barbados.org. Or contact the tourist board at 1-888-227-2236.
- Coral Reef Club, (246) 422-2372. Web site: www.barbados.org/hotels/coral.htm. Rates begin at $175.
- Cobblers Cove, (246) 422-2291or 1-800-890-6060. Web site: www.barbados.org/hotels/cobblers.htm. Rates begin at $250.
- The Cliff, St James, (246) 432-1922. Highly touted for food and scenery; make reservations before you leave home.
- Olives Bar and Bistro, Holetown, (246) 432-2112.
- Patisserie Flindt, Holetown,(246) 432-2626.
- David's Place, Worthing, (246) 435-9755.
This article is from the April 2002 issue of Southern Living. Because prices, dates, and other specifics are subject to change, please check all information to make sure it's still current before making your travel plans.