Christmas Light Displays
Miles of twinkling lights and sculptures sparkle across the South during the holiday season.
Pine Mountain, Georgia, Fantasy In Lights
November 19-December 30, 2010.
callawaygardens.com or 800/225-5292
"I do Christmas 365 days a year," says Greg Brannen, Operations Director for Fantasy In Lights at Callaway Gardens near Pine Mountain, Georgia. While the lights gleam from November 19 until the end of the year, Greg's continually prepping—he has to. Greg manages eight million lights (that's 731 miles of strands) and more than a dozen scenes set to music. To accomplish all of that, he stays in constant communication with the Bill Ferrell Co., the California-based outfit that handles the lighting and sound for the Academy Awards and drops the confetti in Times Square at New Year's. (Bill was on the original Fantasy In Lights design team when the event started in 1992.) Greg also keeps the Jolly Trolleys running. Sure, you can drive the more than 5 miles in your car. But it's better to let someone else do the driving. When you're riding on one of the trolleys in the crisp air, singing Christmas carols and listening to a recorded narration of each holiday scene's story, you experience the entire glittering event and make Greg's job worthwhile.
- Centreville, Virginia, Bull Run Festival of Lights
- Nov. 24, 2010-Jan. 9, 2011
- nvrpa.org or 703/359-4633
- Bristol, Tennessee, Speedway in Lights
- Nov. 19, 2010-Jan. 8, 2011
- bristolmotorspeedway.com or 423/989-6900
- Texas Hill Country, Regional Christmas Lighting Trail
- Nov. 26, 2010-Jan. 1, 2011
- tex-fest.com or 830/997-8515
- Ocean City, Marlyand, Winterfest of Lights
- November 18, 2010-January 2, 2011
- ococean.com or 800/626-2326
- Newport News, Virginia, Celebration in Lights
- November 25, 2010 - January 1, 2011
- nngov.com or 757/926-1400