Breaking: Certain Instant Pots Are Overheating and Melting
The company is asking some people to stop using their devices. They havn't issued a recall just yet, but there's a way to check if your Instant Pot could be at risk.
After multiple reports and users calling the company out on social media, Instant Pot is telling customers to check their multi-use pressure cookers to make sure that they're not part of a batch of units that are apparently overheating.
If you own a Gem 65 8-in-1 Instant Pot, your pressure cooker could be at risk—the company has taken to its official Facebook page to explain that these models could overheat and experience "melting damage to the underside of the product."
The simplest way to check and see if your machine could be faulty is to take a peek at your Gem 8-in-1 pressure cooker's batch code. According to Consumer Reports, the code is located on the bottom of your Instant Pot on a clear silver label. Check to see if your 4-digit batch code is among the following: 1728, 1730, 1731, 1734, 1746.
Instant Pot has yet to voluntarily initiate a recall for those affected, but is working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to take next steps—Instant Pot has also said in a public statement that new information would be made available in the coming weeks.
If you do happen to have an affected model, Instant Pot is asking you to reach out to the support department by calling 1-800-828-7280 or by email at email@example.com. They've also advised you to stop using the pressure cooker immediately.
WATCH: Dog Alerts Sleeping Family to Fire in House
This isn't the first time that Instant Pot has had to deal with recall issues—two years ago, a Bluetooth-enabled Instant Pot model was recalled due to customers experiencing electric shock during use. The possibility of machine malfunction has become a hot topic issue for home cooks, as the popular NBC show This Is Us recently appeared to blame the death of one of it's most popular characters on a faulty Crock Pot.
This Story Originally Appeared On Cooking Light