How To Quickly Purge Your Beauty Stash Before The New Year
Ready for a beauty reset.
With just three days left in 2016, chances are you are scrambling to hit the reset button in every aspect of life. Whether it be something drastic like a new job or relationship, those changes are best complimented with something less complicated...like a new beauty stash.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.
There's no better time than the present to dust off makeup brushes, throw away products you haven't used in months and restock the ones you actually need. Keep reading for five to-dos to keep in mind while making room for a fresh start:
1. Trash your makeup bag: Unless you're obsessed with organization, we can almost guarantee your current makeup bag has been through the ringer.
It isn't enough to make sure your beauty products are throroughly sanitized; the bag that carries them should be, too! Look for something with a bold, fun pattern or fabric that you can use as a clutch, too.
2. Check expiration dates and prioritize: Sadly, makeup doesn't last forever. Before the new year begins, take inventory of the products sitting on your vanity. Rethink what you're actually using and how often.
Throw out whatever has gathered dust, as well as those products with old expiration dates. The typical shelf life of some beauty staples are:
*Foundation: 1 year
*Eyeliner: 3-6 months
*Lipstick: 2 years
*Face Cleanser: 1 year
*Face Moisturizer: 1 year
3. Get makeup brush cleaner and sanitize overused products: If you're not already cleaning your makeup brushes once a week, now is the time to start doing it! After all, dirty brushes are the main culprit for breakouts, so investing in tools is just as important as the products themselves.
If you're on a budget, you can also make go the DIY route with dish soap or cleansing oil.
4. Invest in storage: Another way to attract germs is by leaving your tools out on the bathroom sink or worse: inside your purse! Don't be afraid to get a little fancy with a brush holder. Not only will it prevent you from constantly losing those everyday must haves; it looks pretty, too!
5. Shop 'til you drop!: And once you've completed steps one through four, the real fun begins. Start checking things off your priority list by purchasing a new batch of products you plan on using everyday.
Pro-Tip: If you can't leave the house without mascara and liner, the Kat Von D x Too Faced collection includes a two-fer of their respective top selling products. We're already obsessed!
This Story Originally Appeared On Essence