Let's Get Corny in Honor of National Corn Fritters Day
You know you're in the South when a piping hot basket of corn fritters shows up in front of you. Paired with the likes of fresh battered catfish, coleslaw and some good ol' hushpuppies, these deep-fried corn nuggets are comfort food to our Southern souls. In honor of National Corn Fritters Day – yes, that's a thing – we'd like to share with you our savory take on the fritter, complete with fresh corn, chives, and mozzarella cheese.
You may also like Fried Confetti Corn:
Fresh Corn Cakes
- 2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pulse first 4 ingredients in a food processor 3 to 4 times or just until corn is coarsely chopped.
- Stir together flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in corn mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon 1/8 cup batter for each cake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or large nonstick skillet to form 2-inch cakes (do not spread or flatten cakes). Cook cakes 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Turn and cook other sides 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with anything – they're that good.