Guests who head to Sea Island, a privately owned island and luxury resort on Georgia's Southeastern coast, are in for a treat. On any given day, those treats may include, taking a sea turtle night walk, going salt marsh kayaking, or pampering yourself with a treatment and the eucalyptus-infused steam room at the spa.
Every day, we hope one of those treats includes their beloved corn muffins, studded with cheddar and flecks of bacon. The resort was kind enough to share the recipe, and we know you'll love taking a taste of the Golden Isles into your own home.
WATCH: Here’s Why You Should Visit The Beach Regularly, According to Science
Sea Island Corn Muffins
Hands on: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Makes: 24 muffins
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup creamed corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease the cups of two 12-cup muffin tins.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon pieces and crumble. You should have 1/2-cup crumbled bacon. Set aside. Discard bacon fat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together water, oil, eggs and milk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to wet ingredients and whisk together to remove all lumps. Stir in corn, cheddar and reserved bacon. Spoon scant 1/3-cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake 15 minutes or until muffins have lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean. Serve hot or warm.
Antsing for a beach town vacation? Check out The South's Best Beaches 2018.