Few shrubs have seen such dramatic improvements in the past decade as weigelas. What were previously dismissed as ho- hum, one-season wonders have magically morphed into delightful forms that offer colorful foliage, a variety of flower colors, compact growth, and repeat blooming. Profuse display of inch-long, funnel-shaped flowers occurs in spring. Use these Asian natives in mixed borders or in sweeps.
- Fast growth to 610 feet tall, 912 feet wide, with branches often arching to the ground.
- Leaves 2412 inches long.
- Pink to rose-red flowers.
- The following three selections grow about 6 feet high and wide: 'Bristol Snowflake', white flowers opening from pinkish buds; 'Java Red', red-tinted foliage, red buds opening to deep pink flowers; 'Pink Princess', lilac-pink flowers.
- Wine and Roses ('Alexandra'), to 5 feet tall and wide, has deep purple new leaves highlighted by bright pink flowers; foliage matures to purplish green, then turns blackish purple in autumn.
- Midnight Wine is similar but dwarf, to just 2 feet tall and wide.
- My Monet, just 1218 inches tall and wide, has pink flowers and variegated leaves combining pink, cream, and green.
- The flowers of 'Versicolor' open white and then age to pink and red.
- These are hybrids involving Weigela florida, the early-flowering species Weigela praecox, and other species.
- A sport of 'Bristol Ruby' with yellow foliage.
- To 6 feet high and wide.
- To 67 feet tall and nearly as wide, with ruby-red flowers.
- Some repeat bloom in midsummer and fall.
- To 5 feet tall and wide; white flowers that are tinged with green.
- Dense growth to 35 feet tall and wide, with flowers in white and shades of pink and red; may rebloom in mid-to late summer.
- Compact grower to just 23 feet tall and wide.
- Dark purple leaves keep their color all season and contrast nicely with the profuse pink blooms.
- Compact growth to 46 feet tall and wide, with leaves edged in creamy yellow to white.
- Deep rosy red flowers.
- Nana Variegata is 3 feet tall and wide.
- Mid-green leaves have wide, irregular yellow margins; good orange to red fall color.
- Flowers are scarlet-red.
- To 6 feet tall, 4 feet wide.
- Compact growth to 35 feet high and wide.
- Dark green leaves and extra-large deep red flowers.
- Dwarf selection to 3 feet tall, 5 feet wide.
- Purplish leaves.
- Flowers blend red, purple, and yellow.
- To 6 feet tall and wide, with bright red flowers.
- Young stems are bright green in winter.
- To 56 feet tall and wide, with red flowers, some summer rebloom.
Sonic Bloom series. Heavy bloom in spring, with repeated flushes of flowers until frost. Available in lipstick-red, hot pink, and pink-flushed white. Compact growth to 45 feet tall and wide.
Provide moderately fertile, well-drained soil for best growth. Larger selections can become rangy with time if not pruned. After flowering, cut back stems that bloomed to side shoots that didn't bloom. Cut some of the oldest, woodiest stems to the ground; vigorous new growth will quickly replace them. Compact selections need only occasional pruning. Spring-blooming types will flower again the following spring. Repeat bloomers will flower again that same year in summer.