Stiffly erect, branched, roughly hairy plants with deeply cut leaves. Flower heads like those of black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta) but have fewer ray flowers and a taller, more prominent central cone. Plant with other easy-care perennials.
- From the Great Plains.
- To 2 feet tall, 1 feet wide.
- Flowers have drooping, yellow or brownish purple rays and a tall, columnar brown cone; look like sombreros.
- PRAIRIE or YELLOW CONEFLOWER.
- Native to central North America.
- To 4 feet tall, 1 feet wide, with yellow rays and a nearly globular brown cone.