These tropical African grasses are just the ticket if you want lots of show in a sweltering site. They're easy to grow, adapt to any well- drained soil, tolerate drought once established, and are impervious to heat. Bloom in summer, when nodding, pinkish, 3- to 4 inches-long plumes rise above the clumps of slender, arching, blue-green leaves. Excellent complements to agaves, yuccas, and salvias. Great in drifts; also make good container sub- jects. Though short lived, they're easy to start from seed and are often grown as annuals. They reseed rampantly. Formerly known as Rhynchelytrum.
- To 22 feet tall, up to 1 feet wide.
- Coral-pink plumes appear in June and fade to silvery pink by September.
- Pink Crystals has bright ruby plumes.
- Similar to above but shorter (to just 12 feet tall).
- Billowy clouds of soft pink plumes fade to cream and tan.