These mid-height perennials are covered with pincushion flowers in summer. Basal leaves are barely lobed, but those on upper stems are deeply divided. Undemanding meadow plants, they are at home in cottage gardens, wild gardens, perennial borders, and roadside plantings. Cut flowers are good for fresh or dried arrangements. Resist deer.
- From Europe, the Caucasus, and the Mediterranean region.
- To 15 feet tall, 112 feet wide.
- Blue, 112 inches flower heads in summer.
- From central Europe.
- To 1123 feet high and as wide.
- Deep purplish red flower heads bloom from early summer to fall.
- Reseeds manageably.
- Mars Midget, to 16 inches high, is more upright and has crimson flowers.
- Melton Pastels grow 1123 feet or higher, 112 feet wide, with flower heads in tones of blue, mauve, pink, rose, salmon-pink, and crimson from late spring to fall.
- Red Cherry grows almost 3 feet high and has reddish purple flowers.
- Thunder and Lightning combines burgundy blooms with green leaves edged in white.