These foliage plants grab attention, whether used in large sweeps, in combination with other plants, or in container gardens. Wonderfully gaudy foliage. Prefer moist, fertile, well-drained soil; easy to root from cuttings. Native from Mexico to Argentina. Thrive in heat.
- Upright grower to 13 feet tall and 12 feet wide, with broadly lance-shaped, dark green leaves to 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- Blooms in late fall and winter, bearing small greenish-white flowers that resemble clover blossoms and are held erect on the stems.
- Rubiginosa has burgundy stems and leaves.
- Tricolor offers burgundy foliage edged in deep pink; its new leaves include some green.
- Brazilian Red Hots glows magenta and burgundy like a burning bush, 'Royal Tapestry' has bronze, narrow foliage and grows 12 feet tall and 23 feet wide, and 'Little Ruby' brings burgundy drama on a plant only 12 inches tall and wide.
- Sprawling or upright grower ranging from 6 to 20 inches tall, with elliptic to oval or rounded leaves to about 1 inches long.
- Bettzichiana (A.
- bettzichiana) has spoon-shaped leaves that have red and yellow markings.
- Aurea Nana grows only 4 inches tall with yellow-splotched foliage.
- Chartreuse is simply a bright green plant 48 inches tall and 612 inches wide.
- Crme de Menthe has green leaves splotched with white.
- Magnifica is a red-bronze dwarf.
- Parrot Feather and 'Versicolor' have broad green leaves with yellow markings and pink veins.
- In 'Sessilis Alba', leaves are pure white on the upper part of the plant, green closer to the ground.
- Red Threads is just that, narrow, burgundy leaves in a mound 8 inches tall and 14 inches wide.
- Party Time grows 12 feet tall and wide, with green leaves heavily marked with bright pink.
- Sprawling plant with reddish brown, elliptical to oval leaves to 1 inches long.
- Grows to 4 inches tall and 15 inches wide.