These sturdy, adaptable ferns are so undemanding, they have naturalized in parts of the South. Not browsed by deer.
- Zones MS, LS, CS, TS; USDA 7-11.
- From Asia, South Africa, Polynesia.
- Coarse-textured but handsome evergreen fern to at least 1-2 feet tall, somewhat wider.
- Large, leathery, glossy, dark green fronds.
- Beautiful when used as a solid border or massed with other broad-leafed evergreens beneath the canopies of tall trees.
- Provide good soil; take care not to plant too deeply.
- Protect from wind.
- Can be brought indoors; give bright indirect light.
- Rochfordianum has fringed leaflets.
- Zones US, MS, LS, CS; USDA 6-9.
- This evergreen fern from eastern Asia is more cold hardy than the more familiar Cyrtomium falcatum but similar in size and texture.