Prized for minty foliage used to make tea, and for long-blooming clusters of two-lipped flowers. Plant near a garden path where you can brush against the leaves and savor their scent. Calamints need well-drained soil.
- Zones US, MS, LS, CS; USDA 6-9.
- Native from Mediterranean region to Iran.
- Creeping rhizomes produce a clump to 2 feet tall and wide, with slender stems and 112 inches pink flowers in summer.
- Better with some shade.
- Zones US, MS; USDA 6-7.
- Native from Mediterranean region to Great Britain.
- Slow growth to 112 feet high, 212 feet wide.
- Many tough, slender stems grow outward, then erect.
- Upper portion of the plant carries a profusion of 12 inches pale lilac-to-white flowers in late summer and fall.
- Calamintha n.
- nepeta is a bit larger and more vigorous, with slightly larger flowers.
- Montrose White grows 12-15 inches tall and wide and blooms nonstop from early summer to fall.
- Blue Cloud has light blue flowers.