Choice plants for connoisseurs of blue flowers. Bear one-sided clusters of lobelia-like blooms in brilliant blue, violet, or white; blue and violet flowers are striking because of contrasting white eye or throat. Bloom profusely in warm shade or filtered sunlight. Graceful in hanging baskets or pots. Fine cut flowers. Sow seeds in early spring for summer bloom, in fall for winter color in warmest- winter areas or indoors. You can lift plants in fall, cut back, and pot; new growth will produce flowers through winter in warm spots.
browallia americana(Browallia elata)
- From Tropical South America.
- Branching plant, 12 feet high and wide, with roundish leaves.
- Violet or blue flowers 12 inches long, 12 inches across, are borne among leaves.
- These grow about 1 feet tall and wide.
- Endless Flirtation is white; 'Endless Celebration' white with purple flush; 'Endless Illumination' purple; and 'Endless Sensation; lavender-blue.
- Tender perennial usually grown as annual.
- Sprawling, to 12 feet high, nearly a foot wide.
- Flowers dark purple above, pale lilac beneath, 1122 inches across.
- Blue Bells Improved, with lavender-blue blooms, grows 10 inches tall, needs no pinching to make it branch.
- Marine Bells has deep indigo blossoms, 'Silver Bells' white flowers.