After Being Closed for More Than 150 Years, Windsor Castle's Inner Hall Reopens to the Public
Restoration workers removed layers of paint in order to reveal the incredible ceiling.
Windsor Castle has reopened the doors to its Inner Hall for the first time in more than 150 years.
Created by George IV in the 1820s, the Inner Hall was originally used to welcome heads of state and official guests, the BBC reports. Sadly, the beautiful, vaulted space was closed off by Queen Victoria in 1866 and turned into a storage area—that is, until the Royal Collection Trust funded a refurbishment effort to return the forgotten room to its Victorian splendor. Restoration workers reportedly removed layers of paint to reveal the ceiling bosses created by Francis Bernasconi.
Now, for the first time in 153 years, visitors to one of the Queen's most famous private residences are invited to view the impressive Inner Hall, one of two new Windsor Castle locations open to the public as part of the trust's Future Program. Guests are also now welcome to walk through the rooms linking the North Terrace to the State Entrance, which enjoys impressive views of the castle's famous two-and-a-half-mile Long Walk.
WATCH: Here's What Queen Elizabeth Eats In A Day
Head to rct.uk/visit/windsor-castle for more information about the Future Program and the restoration of the spaces that have been newly reopened to the public.