Martina McBride's Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Is Going to Be Your New Family Favorite
Try this tantalizing recipe from Martina McBride's cookbook, Martina's Kitchen Mix.
Martina McBride is not shy about her adoration of making, serving, and eating soup, especially in her 2018 cookbook Martina's Kitchen Mix: My Recipe Playlist for Real Life. "I do love making soups and I feel like it's something you can put on the stove and let it simmer all day and it makes the whole house smell good," she tells Southern Living in a recent interview, noting what a great option soups are when cooking for a crowd. "Honestly, you could put on a big pot of a soup and a crusty loaf of bread, and nobody's gonna complain about that," she quips.
In her cookbook published by Oxmoor House, the Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is certainly a fan-favorite. "Flavorful and delicious, this is a creamy, comforting version of the classic. Make it spicier by adding more jalapeño or smokier with chipotle chili powder in place of the regular chili powder. I prefer fresh corn here, but frozen will do in a pinch," McBride writes in the headnote accompanying the recipe. Read on for the recipe below. You can buy Martina's Kitchen Mix on Amazon here.
WATCH: Butternut Squash Soup with White Balsamic and Pumpkin Seeds
Martina McBride's Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
HANDS-ON 45 MINUTES
TOTAL 1 HOUR, 40 MINUTES
- 1 1⁄4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes with diced green chiles, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup masa harina
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- Garnishes: shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, corn tortilla chips, hot sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place in a greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Pour 1 cup of the broth over the top and cover. Bake 45 minutes or until done. Remove the chicken, reserving the cooking liquid. Shred the meat with 2 forks.
2. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add the onion and jalapeno; cook 3 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the remaining 3 cups broth, reserved cooking liquid, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and tomatoes.
3. Whisk together the masa and milk until blended. Stir into the soup. Cook over medium-high, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens slightly. Stir in the chicken, black beans, pinto beans, and corn. Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the cream and sour cream. Serve with the desired garnishes.
Excerpted from Martina’s Kitchen Mix by Martina McBride. Copyright © 2018 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Meredith Corporation. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
Craving some more flavor-packed and warming soup recipes? Check out 20 chicken soup recipes to cozy up with tonight.