But there's an easy way to protect yourself from this commonly germ-infested spot.

Perri Ormont Blumberg
March 30, 2018

 

If you're anything like me, the first thing you do when you make it to your hotel room is plop gleefully onto the bed. The second move? Reach for the remote.

While I'm still all for the ceremonial post-travel plop, I've now been forced to hit pause on my remote control grab. As the Chicago Tribune recently reported, your remote is likely brimming with germs. "The remote control is one of the hotel room surfaces covered with the most germs, according to several studies conducted in the United States, Canada and Britain last year," the article reads. "Researchers found that remote controls and light switches were heavily contaminated with bacteria, along with bathroom toilets, sinks and faucets. And these are strangers' germs, not the ones your immune system lives with back home."

As Apartment Therapy further points out,  "A recent study found that of the nine hotel rooms tested for bacterial contamination, about 81% of the samples were covered in 'some' fecal bacteria."

So what's a traveler to do? For the light switches, we advise traveling with some antibacterial wipes to run over the light switch panels before touching.  Meanwhile, for the remote, consider this smart tip from the Chicago Tribune and throw your remote in a plastic Ziploc bag. The remote will still work as intended, but you won't have to fret about contaminating your hands with any of the irksome bacteria that stand between you and a 'Fixer Upper' binge session.