Mom Whose Baby Was Burned by Scalding Water Shares Horrifying Garden Hose Story

Temperatures climbing? Beware your garden hose.

Garden Hose Water
Photo: terminator1/Getty Images

Just when you thought you had enough to worry about, now even your garden hose is a potential threat.

Today recently reminded us of a cautionary summertime tale that came out of San Tan Valley, Arizona a few years ago.

In 2016, a nine-month-old boy was accidentally scalded when his mom began to fill his baby pool with an outdoor garden hose that had been sitting in the sun during a summer heatwave. The baby reportedly received second-degree burns to about one-third of his body after scorching-hot water unexpectedly came pouring out of the hose.

"I thought he was crying because he was mad, because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face, I didn't think that it was burning him," mom Dominique Woodger told KTRK following the traumatic incident.

These kinds of burns are not uncommon—especially during the dog days of summer. Dr. Kevin Foster, director of the Arizona Burn Center in Phoenix, told Today that water sitting in a garden hose that's exposed to summer sun can reach up to 190 degrees.

WATCH: Here's the Weird Reason You Should Never Leave A Bottle of Water in Your Car

"It doesn't reach boiling, but it does get almost there. It's about as hot as coffee coming out of the pot," Foster added. "A burn happens almost instantaneously at that temperature."

To avoid burns, Foster said to always drain your hose of water before using. And if you can, avoid storing it outside.

Was this page helpful?
Related Articles