Remembering Billy Graham Through Some of His Most Memorable Quotes
"Take one day at a time. Today, after all, is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
After a lifetime spent preaching, beloved evangelist Billy Graham passed away on Wednesday morning at his mountaintop home in Montreat, North Carolina. He was 99 years old.
As the country mourns a man widely regarded as one of the most influential preachers of the 20th century, we're taking a moment to reflect on some of the most moving messages from his six-decade career.
WATCH: Funeral Etiquette Every Southerner Should Know
Scroll down for 13 of Billy Graham's most famous quotes, in no particular order:
- "Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are stiffened."
- "Prayer is simply a two-way conversation between you and God."
- "When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost."
- "Tears shed for self are tears of weakness, but tears shed for others are a sign of strength."
- "My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world."
- "The only time my prayers are never answered is on the golf course."
- "Comfort and prosperity have never enriched the world as much as adversity has."
- "Take one day at a time. Today, after all, is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
- "God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there."
- "Mountaintops are for views and inspiration, but fruit is grown in the valleys."
- "A real Christian is the one who can give his pet parrot to the town gossip."
- "Many invest wisely in business matters, but fail to invest time and interest in their most valued possessions: their spouses and children."
- "Joy cannot be pursued. It comes from within. It is a state of being. It does not depend on circumstances, but triumphs over circumstances. It produces a gentleness of spirit and a magnetic personality."