Fast Food Heroes: Texas Chick-fil-A Employee and Customer Team Up to Save Choking Man
With his windpipe cleared, the man reportedly man went on to enjoy the rest of his meal.
It was an ordinary Saturday evening at the Chick-fil-A on W. Slaughter Lane in Austin, Texas. Patrons were enjoying their meals when one of them, an older gentleman, suddenly got up from his seat and began to gesture towards his throat.
On a surveillance video shared on Facebook, a concerned nearby diner can be seen jumping up, rushing over to him, and immediately beginning the Heimlich maneuver on the choking stranger.
A few seconds later, the store's 23-year-old team leader, Hunter Harris, takes over for the woman and manages to expel the food from the man's throat.
"She was trying really hard, but I think he was maybe too heavy or something," dining room employee Anita Duran told KVUE. "I ran over there to call Hunter, and he immediately came over here to help."
"I stepped in and I took care of him. I did what I could do, and it all worked out," Harris said. "I just made sure that he was okay."
WATCH: Here's the Real Reason Why Chick-fil-A Is Closed on Sundays
With his windpipe cleared, the man reportedly man went on to enjoy the rest of his meal. Harris, who is a certified employee trainer with the company, told the news station that he has stepped in with the Heimlich maneuver once before—when an employee began choking.
Hunter's father, Jamie, who owns the Chick-fil-A franchise location, wasn't surprised by his son's actions.
"His character is to jump in and help when help is needed," Jamie told the station. "You could see that it was natural for him. Very proud of that."