Sights of the South Contest Rules
SOUTHERN LIVING SIGHTS OF THE SOUTH CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. HOW TO ENTER: This contest begins 12:01 A.M. EST on January 15, 2014 and ends 11:59 P.M. EST on March 15, 2014. To enter online, go to www.SouthernLiving.com/sightsofthesouth and follow instructions to submit your original essay telling us what being from the South means to you, how this road trip will introduce you to new things the region has to offer (in 200 words or less), and a photo of yourself and your 3 friends or family members that would be joining you on the trip—show us how much fun you have together! Photo must meet the following requirements: .JPEG file, maximum of 10MB. The contestant must have permission of everyone included in the submitted photo to be eligible for the contest.
Limit one entry per person or household. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, or incomplete entries, or entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned. By entering, Entrant warrants that his or her entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published in any medium or (3) has not won an award.
2. JUDGING: All entries will be judged by Southern Living marketing and editorial contributors, based on the following criteria: Composition of Photo (25%); Overall Appeal of Photo (25%); Essay Originality (25%) and Appropriateness to Contest Theme (25%). Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Judges reserve the right in their discretion to disqualify any entries for any reason, including suspected fraud. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by telephone or email on or about April 5, 2014.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 19 years or older at time of entry ("Entrant(s)"). Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor, the North Carolina Division of Tourism, Film and Sports Development and their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies/partners (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same of household of each such employee) are not eligible.
4. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: Prize includes round-trip economy-class airfare for four (4) people from the major airport nearest Winner and guests' primary residences; a four (4) night, five (5) day stay in two (2) local-area, economy hotel rooms to one of three destinations to be provided by North Carolina Tourism. Prize package to be provided and fulfilled by Southern Living, a division of Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. Prizing will also include an economy rental vehicle will be provided for ground transportation and will be picked up at the destination airport upon arrival, an itinerary with scheduled events, hotel reservation information and American Express gift cards to be used for food, gas and souvenirs. All aspects of prize package will be designated at the discretion of the sponsor. Certain blackout periods and other restrictions may apply. All travelers must possess valid travel documents and must be licensed to drive within the United States. Each Winner's Guest must complete, sign, and return the Publicity Waiver (where legal) and Release Forms prior to travel, or the Guest cannot accompany the Winner. Trip must be taken by July 31, 2014. Arrangements must be made at least 30 days prior to departure. Once scheduled, the itinerary cannot be altered. Approximate Retail Value: $10,000 (actual retail value may vary based on the customization of the official prize package). Value of prize may vary based on timing and point of departure. Winner is responsible for all taxes and all other expenses not included in the prize package, including, without limitation, incidentals, tips, and other personal expenses.
5. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsor's sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents that any photo and essay and other materials submitted as part of Entrant's Contest entry are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such photo and essay and other materials. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant's submitted photo and essay, along with Entrant's name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where legally permissible a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 5 calendar days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the photo and essay and other materials submitted are original and have never been published and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Winner's name and/or likeness, biographical information, photo and essay, other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold Sponsor and its promotional partners, its directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property including death relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion or privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, entrant or winner to ridicule, scandal or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a winner has received notice of his prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
6. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The "authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned.
7. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the state of New York without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
9. WINNER'S LIST: For name of Winner(s), available after April 30, 2014 send a separate self- addressed, stamped envelope to Southern Living, 1271 Avenue of the Americas, Floor 20, New York, NY, 10020.
10. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is TI Media Solutions Inc., 1271 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, 10020.