Here at Southern Living, we love a good DIY. Based in Atlanta, Georgia, the Craft Box Girls – led by craft guru Lynn Lilly – are creating fun, easy-to-make projects to spice up your entertaining, wedding planning, or holiday gifting. Check back every other Thursday for some DIY inspiration.
When it comes to holiday parties, a little spiced-up silverware can be a festive touch. This easy DIY turns silver utensils into eye-catching tableware with just a few coats of paint.
The Project: Gold Dipped Utensils
Materials: Silver Utensils Gold Spray Paint Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer Scotch Tape Cardboard Box with flaps Scissors
- Tape a straight line at the end of the utensil handle.
- Cut slits in the flap of the cardboard box lid. The slits need to be just big enough to fit the handles of the utensils.
- From the inside out, push the utensils handle-first through the slits so the handles are sticking out of the box flap.
- Spray the utensil handles with gold spray paint and let dry for 30 minutes.
- Spray utensil handles with Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer and let dry for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the box flap, and remove the tape.
Pro Tip: Wash the utensils by hand so the paint is preserved.