DIY All-Natural Room Scents
Here at Southern Living, we love a good DIY. Based in Atlanta, Georgia, the Craft Box Girls – led by craft guru Lynn Lilly – are creating fun, easy-to-make projects to spice up your entertaining, wedding planning, or holiday gifting. Check back every other Thursday for some DIY inspiration.
Avoid harsh chemicals with these easy DIY room scents. From crisp apples to sweet oranges and festive cranberry, these five all-natural scents will fill your kitchen (and waft through your house!) with notes of fruit and spice – and are perfect for entertaining.
The Project: Five DIY All-Natural Room Scents
- 5 Canning Jars
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Apple
- 8 Cinnamon Sticks
- 8 Ginger Root Slices
- Peppermint Extract
- Almond Extract
- Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup of Cranberries
- 4 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. of Whole Cloves
- Thinly slice the orange, apple and lemon.
- Place the following ingredients in separate canning jars: Jar One: cranberries, two sprigs of rosemary, six drops of peppermint oil Jar Two: three or four orange slices, one tablespoon of cloves, four cinnamon sticks Jar Three: four orange slices, eight slices of ginger root, six drops of almond extract Jar Four: eight apple slices (quarter slices), six drops of almond extract, four cinnamon sticks, three slices of oranges Jar Five: five lemon slices, two rosemary sprigs, six drops of vanilla extract
- Fill each jar with water and refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- When you are ready to use, pour the contents of desired jar into a saucepan and simmer. As the water evaporates, refill as needed.