The 14 Best Clothes Irons to Keep You Looking Crisp and Polished
Nothing ruins a stellar outfit like unwanted wrinkles. Unless you happen to live next door to a dry cleaner, the quickest and most cost-effective route to that polished look is a session with a handheld clothes iron. Clothes irons, also known as steam irons, use a combination of steam and pressure to eradicate wrinkles and keep garments looking fresh and crisp. Since not all are created equal, we've selected the best clothes irons according to customer reviews. There's one to suit every need, from durability to speed, and to accommodate every household budget.
The 14 Best Clothes Irons of 2022
- Best Overall Clothes Iron: Chi Electronic Iron
- Best Durable Clothes Iron: Hamilton Beach Durathon Iron
- Best Affordable Clothes Iron: Black & Decker Steam Iron
- Best Splurge Clothes Iron: Miele Rotary Clothes Iron
- Best Lightweight Clothes Iron: Shark Professional Steam Iron
- Best Quick-Heating Clothes Iron: Conair ExtremeSteam Pro Steam Iron
- Best Travel Clothes Iron: Steamfast Mini Steam Iron
- Best Cordless Clothes Iron: Panasonic Contoured Cordless Steam Iron
- Best Retractable Clothes Iron: Rowenta Access Steam Iron
- Best Beginner Clothes Iron: Sunbeam Steammaster Steam Iron
- Best Self-Cleaning Clothes Iron: Maytag M400 Steam Iron
- Best Clothes Iron for Thick Clothes: Reliable Velocity 230IR Steam Iron
- Best Clothes Iron for Fast Jobs: Rowenta DW9280 Steam Iron
- The Social Media-Favorite Clothes Iron: The Nori Press
How to Pick the Right Clothes Iron
The basic things to look for when buying a new clothes iron are high wattage, non-drip capabilities, and a nonstick base (also called a soleplate). These important details will ensure that your chosen iron has a powerful steam output and will have no trouble gliding across your clothes, plus minimizing your chances of spills or damaging your garments. Keeping those essentials in mind, there are myriad options to choose from.
Some models have digital displays with fabric options to make sure you don't scorch your lighter materials or beaded embellishing. Others include an anti-calc feature, which captures the minerals in hard water and extends the life of your iron, as well as prevents crusty bits from ending up on your clothes. Many high-quality clothes irons also include an automatic shut-off for safety. And for your convenience, there are ones that come with 360-degree swiveling and retractable cords so you have free range of motion. Or, you can skip cords all together and opt for a cordless option instead.
Below, explore the best irons that not only have thousands of glowing reviews but also excel in their category.