Lush Tropical Loggia
1. Choose a garden-inspired palette.
"Let what is nearby be your guide," says Ashley. Look to surrounding flowers and plants to dictate the color direction of your porch's fabrics and accessories.
2. Lighten up with a limed ceiling.
A limed cypress or oak ceiling feels elegant and airy. Add new limed wood to a plain ceiling, or have existing stained wood redone with a limewash (which can be caustic) or liming wax.
3. Show off a statement piece.
Walls of outdoor spaces shouldn't be left blank. Rather than framed art, look for an architectural piece (like this antique folding screen) that will add texture and shape.
4. Use weather-resistant materials.
Keep your space looking great with pieces designed to withstand the elements, such as synthetic wicker, solution-dyed acrylic fabrics, polypropylene rugs, and stone tabletops.
5. Go green with tropical plants.
Big potted trees and ferns go a long way toward cozying up a porch and help connect living spaces with the surrounding gardens.
- Get the Look:
- Lantern | Mill Valley 3 Light Outdoor Pendant in Natural Bronze (F2327NB) by Troy Lighting, $360; homeclick.com
- Chairs | Trinidad Wicker Barrel Dining Chair (WD1315) by Woodard, $593; wayfair.com
- Fabric | Cambria in Surfgrass 120-01); chrisbarrettdesign.com
- Coffee Table | Givens Coffee Table (08466), $299; homedecorators.com
- Shell | Large Atlantis Clam Shell (I60052007), $59.95; zgallerie.com
Interior designers: Mimi McMakin and Ashley Sharpe, Kemble Interiors, Palm Beach, FL; kembleinteriors.com or 561/659-5556. Ceiling: Pecky Cypress with lime finishing by Fernando Tonarely, garland painted on arches: Raoul de Sibour, Raoul de Sibour Art Studio, and faux-bois painting on doors: William Manthy, all located in West Palm Beach, FL, and all available through Kemble Interiors; kembleinteriors.com. Lanterns: Small Breton 3-Light Hanging Lantern (CHC3409) in Antique Rust; circalighting.com. Rug: Margolin Polypropylene Indoor/Outdoor in Seagrass by Stark (starkcarpet.com). Wicker furniture: Seaside Sofa (60-D10-22) and Captain's Arm Dining Chair (60-D10-52) in Hularo Cane by Oscar de la Renta Home for Century (centuryfurniture.com). Sofa cushion fabric: 46" Ginkgo (4685-0000) by Sunbrella (sunbrella.com). Sofa pillow fabrics: Bamboo Stripe in Wasabi (BB23) on custom ground by Peter Fasano (peterfasano.com) and Murray Hill Prints in Mango (42062-394) by Duralee (duralee.com). Coffee table: aluminum base and coquina top, custom by Kemble Interiors; kembleinteriors.com. Leaf ceramic tiles: custom by Dan Droney, Lake Worth, FL; dandroneytile.com. Garden stool: Drum Garden Stool in Lime (1254LM); decor-decor.com.