Affordable Decorating Ideas: Stretch Your Fabric
With a luxurious texture or eye-catching pattern, the right fabric can make a room. But fabric can be pricey. Follow these clever tricks to get a lot of bang for not many bucks.
Go for the wow factor
Use the majority of your fabric on one prominent item, such as a large pillow, bed canopy, or ottoman.
Pair pricey fabrics and inexpensive solids
Use basic cotton for pillow backs, or trim inexpensive curtains with intricate fabric borders. Upholster a chair back with a precious pattern, using a less expensive and more durable canvas on the seat.
Use bold patterns
A little of a graphic print is enough to go a long way. Even when used sparingly in a room, it will still have a major effect.
Don't throw away fabrics!
Scraps can be used as pillow piping or cording.
Our Favorite Online Sources for Inexpensive Fabrics
- eBay: Search "fabrics" to find deals on designer fabrics that have either been discontinued or are remnant pieces. ebay.com
- Lewis & Sheron: The enormous selection of designer textiles and trims at a variety of prices makes this Atlanta-based resource a must. lsfabrics.com
- Calico Corners: This classic fabric source offers online shopping, or you can book a free in-home design consultation. calicocorners.com
- Fabric.com: Don't miss the "Home Decor Fabrics Under $7 a Yard" section. fabric.com
- Grayline Linen: The endless linen options from this New York Garment District institution are now available to everyone online. graylinelinen.com
- The Designer's Attic: South Carolina blogger Shannon Darby posts daily with major discounts on designer fabrics. thedesignersattic.blogspot.com