The 11 Best Indoor Grills for Barbecuing Year-Round
Grilling and good weather go hand-in-hand, but realistically, cravings don't care if the season brings sunshine or snow showers. If you often find yourself yearning for a juicy, char-grilled steak outside of the summer months, you may want to consider an indoor option that'll give you the same flame-broiled taste as your outdoor grill, without the need for gas, charcoal, or an umbrella. Before you fire up an indoor electric grill and start searing, consider whether an open or contact countertop model would work best for your unique needs.
Open Grills: The most similar design to an outdoor grill, open grills offer a single cooking surface, requiring the food to be flipped halfway through. This does lend to a longer cooking time, but because there isn't a heavy cover pressing down on your food, it's better for grilling flatter and more tender items — like bacon, eggs, fish, and veggies.
Contact Grills: Fitted with two cooking surfaces, your food will simultaneously grill from the top and bottom for a quick and even cook. Contact grills are intended to be flip-free, so your food will be ready faster, and the top press-down mechanism will also create a nice crust; think gooey, golden paninis and diner-style smashed burgers.
Just like with any outdoor grill, you'll also need to evaluate your preferred size — depending on whether you plan to use it for solo meals or massive family feasts. But one unique consideration for indoor grills is how effectively they contain smoke: Some feature a built-in filter for a completely smokeless design, a must for small kitchens and apartments where fire alarms are finicky.
Ready to shop? We turned to Amazon reviewers to determine the best indoor grills on the market and found 11 open and contact options from top brands like Ninja, George Foreman, Hamilton Beach, Power XL, and more.
Shop the Best Indoor Grills:
- Best Overall: Cuisinart 5-in-1 Griddler
- Best Budget: Maxi-Matic Smokeless Indoor Electric Grill
- Best Smokeless Option: Power XL Smokeless Electric Indoor Grill
- Best for Indoor/Outdoor Use: George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill
- Best for Versatility: Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Electric Countertop Grill
- Best Griddle: Presto Electric Griddle with Removable Handles
- Best Panini Press: George Foreman Removable Plate Grill and Panini Press
- Best for Single Servings: Dash Mini Maker Portable Grill
- Best for Entertaining: T-fal Opti-Grill Indoor Electric Grill
- Best for Easy Clean Up: Hamilton Beach Electric Indoor Searing Grill
- Best for Safety: Presto Cool Touch Electric Indoor Grill