The 7 Best Cooling Weighted Blankets for Sweat-Free Sleep—All Under $80
Snuggling up with a weighted blanket can leave you with a sense of ease and calmness—not to mention a restful night's sleep. It's why so many people are turning to weighted blankets to relieve stress and anxiety at home. While they have many wonderful benefits, the blankets can trap heat, leaving you sweltering hot (especially during warmer months). Cue the cooling weighted blanket, which delivers all the comforting aspects without any of the sweat-inducing issues. Hot sleepers, you've met your match.
A cooling weighted blanket is filled with tiny beads that add a comfortable amount of density to create a relaxing sensation called deep pressure stimulation, according to the Sleep Foundation. The slight weight also increases serotonin hormone levels, which regulates your mood and contributes to that "happy" feeling, per the Hormone Health Network. Think of how you feel when you're being hugged by a loved one. Comforted and secure, right? With a cooling weighted blanket, you'll experience that same hug-like experience that "represents instantaneous relief," Georgy Olivieri, LMFT, MBA, MA, RADT-II, therapist at New Method Wellness tells Southern Living. "The use of the cooling weighted blanket offers reminiscent comfort, soothing, and security."
Additionally, snoozing with a cooling blanket can also improve your sleep quality, allowing you to sleep longer and deeper. Olivieri notes that there can be underlying symptoms of anxiety that can also affect your sleep (and your productivity), like worrying about a big work project or thinking about the pandemic. Waking up with 3 a.m. nerves is not ideal, but good news: Olivieri says that "with decreased anxiety, good sleep will likely follow," and covering with a cooling weighted blanket is one way to help.
How to Shop for a Cooling Weighted Blanket
When shopping for a cooling weighted blanket, there are a few things to consider, including the weight, fabric materials, and fill. Deanna Crosby, AMFT, LAADC, PsyD, clinical director at New Method Wellness, recommends using the following criteria:
- Weight: Each person will experience deep pressure stimulation differently, which is why there are so many weights and sizes available. A good rule of thumb is to choose a weighted blanket that is 10 percent of your body weight. Getting one too heavy may feel constricting, whereas one that's too light won't deliver the same comforting effects.
- Fabric: To ensure that you'll feel cool and comfortable while lying or sleeping under your weighted blanket, choose breathable materials. Crosby suggests getting a cooling weighted blanket made with bamboo, which is naturally moisture-wicking, making it perfect for the summer.
- Fill: Even though you don't see the beads, the type in your blanket makes a big difference. Some are made with plastic and poly beads, but our experts suggest glass. Unlike plastic, glass beads do not retain heat and are hypoallergenic, too.
Ready to start shopping? Browse through this list of the best cooling weighted blankets—all under $80—that have expert-approved features and are loved by shoppers on Amazon.
- Best Overall: Luna Bamboo Weighted Blanket
- Best Value: Syrinx Cooling Weighted Blanket
- Best Cotton: ZonLi Cooling Weighted Blanket
- Best Even Distribution: Bare Home Weighted Blanket
- Best Bamboo: YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket
- Most Versatile: Degrees of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket
- Best Easy Clean: Soothe Lab Cooling Weighted Blanket