How to Enter
Instructions for entering the 2010 Southern Home Awards
We request that you submit each entry in a black, three-ring or portfolio presentation binder in this format:
- A one-page description of the project, typewritten and double-spaced on one side of a sheet of white, 8 1/2 x 11 paper (photocopies acceptable). The top line must list the category entered. Follow with a short description of your project, stating your original goals and intents, any design challenges you encountered, and the solutions / final results. Please include the square footage of the house or affected area as well. In order to keep the entrants anonymous, DO NOT include any information on this or the rest of the binder sheets revealing the homeowner(s), architect, builder, or other design professional that were involved.
- Next, include Applicable floor plans for the entire house or affected area according to its category, on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper. For additions, renovations, and remodels, ‘before' plans must be included as well. Do not send folded or rolled-up blueprints.
- For the remaining sheets, include color photographs – enough of which will give us a full and complete understanding of the project. For additions, renovations, and remodels, ‘before' photos must be included as well. Color photocopies or reprints in whatever size / combination that fit an 8 1/2 x 11 format are acceptable, and we recommend that any photos be submitted in protective, vinyl sleeves. Photos of the homeowners are acceptable and encouraged. Please DO NOT send us original photographs or any original material, for that matter.
- A completed entry form and permission form, as well as an entry fee check for $25 payable to the Southern Home Awards. Insert the forms and check in a manila envelope and attach it to the back page or your binder (or slip it in the binder's pocket, if it has one).
- Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (with adequate postage), large enough to have your binder successfully returned to you after the judging takes place. Fed Ex and other shipping methods are acceptable, as long as the mailing forms are completely and correctly filled out, including the sender's applicable account numbers. All entries must be postmarked no later than midnight of August 21, 2009.
- Mail your entry to:
Southern Home Awards
Southern Living Magazine
2100 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35209
Entry and Permission Forms:
This year, we've made the forms easier to fill out because you can type your information in while online. Just be sure to print the completed forms and include them with your entry binder(s):