Decorator Phoebe Howard shares her simple five-pillow approach to creating a well-composed sofa
The Sofa Pillow Formula
1. Mix & Match Fabrics: Sofa upholstery and pillow fabrics should never be the same. Limit patterned fabrics to one set of pillows per sofa. Layer colors, vary prints with solids, and mix textures for the most interest.
2. Start from the Outside: Select a matching pair of pillows that are either 24 or 22 inches square to place on the far right and left. Work your way to the center with a set of slightly smaller square pillows.
3. Throw in an Odd Shape: To keep the look from feeling too symmetrical, include a smaller, rectangular pillow made from a third fabric that's different but coordinates.
4. Fill & Fluff Them Right: Down fillers are always preferable to polyester inserts. They are more comfortable and better looking. If allergies are a problem, try high-quality, hypoallergenic down. And please, don't karate-chop the tops!
Phoebe's Favorite Ready-Made Sofa Pillows
Arranging a stylish sofa is easy with these ready-made pillows.
- Seafoam Linen with Natural Twill Tape, 20" H × 20" W, $175; lacefielddesigns.com
- Buckminster Fuller Pillow in Lichen, 20" H × 20" W, $263; dransfieldandross.biz
- Lily in Ochre, 14" H × 20" W, $155 by Ryan Studio; insideavenue.com
- Twine Clay Decorative Pillow, 20" H × 20" W, $150 (cover only); johnrobshaw.com
- Shell Shock in Cappuccino, 12" H × 26" W, $143 by Tourmaline Home; gatehousehome.com