Front Door Style
Dallas-Inspired Front Door
Known for glitz and glam, this friendly, style-setting city inspired the inviting look seen here.
Front Door: 1¾" Fir HD Four Panel Door (EG5444), $532; tuckerdoor.com
Paint Color: Quarry (1342); prattandlambert.com
Light: Charleston Wall Mount Lantern with Electric 2-Light Cluster (CL01-CH-W), $249; frenchquarterlanterns.com
Hardware: Paris Entry Set with Mortise Lock in Silicon Bronze in Light Patina, $1,008; rockymountainhardware.com
Door Knocker: 5" Door Knocker (DK5) in Silicon Bronze in Light Patina, $267; rockymountainhardware.com
Doormat: Dragongrass Doormat, $14.99; amazon.com
Peaches and Cream
Let a cheerful paint color loosen up a formal facade. This coral shade peps up a Palladian transom, traditional pediment, and regal door knocker. Break from an otherwise symmetrical look with a single carriage lantern.
Paint Color: Pink Mimosa (P180-3); homedepot.com
Light: ELK Lighting Grande Isle Sconce, $818; farreys.com
Door Knocker: Lion Door Knocker, $118; wayfair.com
Container: Acadia Urn, $299; frontgate.com
Accent Piece: Hand-Welded House Number, $30; anthropologie.com
Classic French Door Entry
French doors with a fresh Chippendale spin complement the Colonial home's English roots. The curved muntins and spherical finials on the parapet play off the founded boxwoods lining the front of the home.
Play the Blues
Strike a high note on an otherwise toned-down entry with a pop of color. This home has classic craftsmanship, such as fluted pilasters and a starburst transom, but what really shines—other than a cute pup—is the deep blue paneled door with shiny brass accessories.
Paint Color: Gentleman's Gray (2062-20); benjaminmoore.com
Light: Beacon Hill, $308; 1800lighting.com for retailers
Door Knocker: Solid Brass "S" Style Door Knocker, $35.29; houseofantiquehardware.com
Container: Cauldron Pot in Blue, $220, available through Charlie Thigpen's Garden Gallery; 205/328-1000
Accent Piece: Brass Mail Slot, $16.99; amazon.com
Amp up a traditional home with unexpected sunset hues. Here, fiery red paint energizes an entryway, which exudes elegance with its ornate transom, dentil molding, filigreed pendant light, and wrought iron railing.
Paint Color: Tomato Red (2010-10); benjaminmoore.com
Light: Square Hanging Pendant Light, from $375; bevolo.com for retailers
Doorbell: "Please Ring" Doorbell Button, $18; rejuvenation.com
Container: Fiberstone Box, from $215; jaysonhome.com
Accent Piece: Heavy Duty Brass Traditional Mail Slot, $99.90; houseofantiquehardware.com
Green to Envy
Give guests a warm welcome with friendly tones of green, gray, and blue. This grand double-door entry is balanced by its easygoing, leafy hue and simple carving. The weathered patina of the pendant lantern suggests a home that's mellowed over time.
Paint Color: Tradd Street Green (DCR090); duron.com
Light: Federal Hanging Lantern, $459; shadesoflight.com
Door Knob: Estate Knob (5041), from $100; baldwinhardware.com for retailers
Container: Blue Ceramic Planter, from $480; scenariohome.com
Accent Piece: 4 Inch Solid Brass Number, $2.97; homedepot.com
Washington D.C.-Inspired Front Door
Inspired by the handsome townhomes of Georgetown, we've put together a look that is traditional and refined.
- Doormat: Braided Oval Mat by Vagabond Vintage, $34; mothology.com
- Hardware: Oval Collection Entry Set in S1 Finish, $1,744; sunvalleybronze.com
- Light: Charleston Harbor Outdoor Light, $399; shadesoflight.com
- Door Knocker: Star Door Knocker in S1 Finish, $522; sunvalleybronze.com
- Front Door: Mahogany 902 Custom Wood Door, $3,460; jeld-wen.com
Key West-Inspired Front Door
Taking cues from one of our favorite colorful coastal towns, we added a splash of sunshine to this entry.
- Doormat: Fisherman's Rope Mat, $34.95; macsmats.com
- Light: Portola Biron White Hanging Exterior Lantern, $1,185; troy-lighting.com
- Hardware: Polished Chrome Lockset by Emtek, $149; brandinobrass.com
- Door Knocker: Hospitality Pineapple Door Knocker in Nickel Silver, $110; michaelhealy.com
- Front Door: Eastern White Pine D132 Entry Door, $1,995; vintagedoors.com
- Paint: Color June Day (370B-4); homedepot.com
New Orleans-Inspired Front Door
We looked to the French Quarter's Creole cottages in creating this enchanting look.
- Doormat: Bonjour Doormat, $24.99; wayfair.com
- Door Knocker: Large Black Fleur De Lis Door Knocker, $77.95; houseofantiquehardware.com
- Hardware: St. Charles Handleset in Sandcast Bronze, $548; fusionhardware.com
- Light: Wall Mounted Lantern (3501) in Antique Brass Finish, $588; fourteenthcolonylighting.com
- Front Door: Portabello 8-Lite Panel Bottom Door (LD8358) by GlassCraft Door Company, $1,029; thefrontdoorco.com