Easy DIY Dog Bed
Start with a ready-made dog pillow and discarded shipping pallets (found free behind commercial buildings—just ask before taking) to build your favorite fur-friend his or her own custom bed.
How To Build The Bed
1. Dismantle the pallets. You can just use a hammer to separate the boards, but for faster results, use a reciprocating saw to cut through the nails.
2. Cut 2 by 4 pallet pieces to length with a table saw or handsaw. Then build a box, attaching the sides to each other with deck screws. Note: The inside measurement of the box should correspond to the dimensions of the dog pillow.
3. Attach six pallet slats, evenly spaced, with deck screws on underside of box.
4. Cut trim pieces with miter saw (optional). Attach with finishing nails around the top and bottom edges of the bed.
5. Cut feet from leftover 2 by 4 pallet pieces, and attach with deck screws.
6. Caulk any gaps, and then sand and paint.
2 wooden pallets
Reciprocating saw (optional)
Table saw or handsaw
4 trim mold pieces bought from the hardware store and cut to the measurements of the dog bed
1 quart satin-finish paint