Mardi Gras Goes to the Dogs
We've all seen photos of or attended those wild and crazy Mardi Gras parades but these are even wilder… the King and Queen have four legs and fur! Listen, you don't have to go to Westminster to be crowned "Best in Show." Just dress up your pooch or pig in their tackiest – ahem, finest regalia. Then go hog-wild on the float decorations. The pet-ticipants ride in anything from decorated strollers to elaborate sets built on flat bed rolling carts. Many of the pet's handlers (aka mom, dad, the kids, and friends) dress in theme with the float. Prizes are handed out and everyone has a howling good time. We've listed some of our favorites and hope you can catch one of them, we promise it will be a paw-some event for the whole family.
- The Mystic Krewe of Mardi Paws
- Mandeville, LA - March 5, 2017
- The 23rd annual Mystic Krewe of Mardi Paws serves as a fundraiser for non-profits helping Kids and K-9's. The parade benefits the Ian Somerhalder Foundation (ISF), an organization devoted to conserving the environment and protecting animals as well as three other charities that focus on children and animals. The parade rolls at 2 p.m. at the Mandeville Lakefront.
Emily Grace Peters (pictured here with Grand Duke Oliver Webb, a member of the Royal Court) has been chosen Grand Marshal of the 2017 Mardi Paws Parade. Emily was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) when she was 3 years old and has been cancer free for 2 years now. Emily and her family have 40 chickens and she wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up.
- The Mystical Krewe of Barkus Beggin' Pet Parade
- St. Louis, MO – February 19, 2017
- Hailed as the world's largest costumed pet parade, The Mystical Krewe of Barkus Beggin' Pet Parade has been strutting its stuff for 24 years. All proceeds benefit the Open Door Animal Sanctuary. The parade steps off at 1 p.m. The best dressed canines are selected as members of the Court of the Mystical Krewe of Barkus where two of them will be crowned King and Queen during the Coronation.
Mystic Mutts of Revelry
Fairhope, AL – February 18, 2017
The 14th annual Mystic Mutts of Revelry is the only walking Mardi Gras parade in Fairhope and benefits The Haven, a no-kill animal shelter that rescues, rehabilitates, and re-homes over 900 animals each year. It has been serving Baldwin County since 2000. The fun begins at 10:30 a.m. with live music, a professional photo booth, and many family-friendly and pet-worthy activities.
Krewe of Barkus & Meoux
Galveston, TX – February 26, 2017
Bring your four-legged fur-ball and join in the 19th Annual Krewe of Barkus & Meoux Parade. The parade begins at 1:30 p.m. in the historic Strand District. All proceeds benefit the Galveston Island Humane Society.
See more of our favorite ways to celebrate Mardi Gras.