10 Healthier Halloween Candy Options That Kids Will Actually Enjoy
It's that time of year again. Bags of candy will begin flying off the shelves, carts will be loaded down with fun-size candy bars, and children will be anxiously anticipating October 31. On average, each American consumes around 3.4 pounds of Halloween candy, and kids can chow down on upwards of 7,000 additional calories. You don't want to be the house with the worst candy, so stock up on the treats below that are sure to please every little ghost, goblin, and witch this Halloween.
Check out these ten healthier candy options that'll still get you brownie points on the neighborhood block.
- Mini Laffy Taffy Now, some kids might complain about these, but you won't hear it from me. These small bites of joy come in tons of delicious flavors (looking at you, banana) and are a relatively guilt-free option. 30 calories per piece, 1g fat, 4.2g sugar
- Mini Milky Way Thank your lucky stars – you can eat a piece of chocolate for under 40 calories. The soft chocolate nougat and silky caramel will please at least half of your target Halloween audience, even if it's just the adults. 38 calories per piece, 1.6g fat, 6g sugar
- Mini Kit Kat "Give me a break" is what your stomach would be saying after the first 3 pounds of Halloween candy, but with these Kit Kat bites, you won't have to count many calories. Find all the chocolate and wafer goodness you love in a small, crunchy package. 42 calories per piece, 2.2g fat, 4.2g sugar
- Mini Reese Peanut Butter Cup I'm delighted that our good friend Reese is on this list. Many a year have I guiltily unwrapped a peanut butter cup, but not this Halloween. The Mini Cups are under 50 calories. Translation? May as well eat a few more. Or, if you're feeling festive, try the 90-calorie Reese Pumpkins. 44 calories per piece, 2.6g fat, 4.6g sugar
- Fun Size Nestle Crunch No one can turn down rich, milk chocolate and the crunch of crisped rice. Nestle Crunch bars are one of the classic Halloween handouts, and even come in a 30-calorie mini size. 50 calories per piece, 2.5g fat, 5.5g sugar.
- Fun Size Skittles For the kids not into chocolate (is that a thing?), hand out these single-serving signature red packets. With tangy fruit flavors like lime, cherry, and grape, Skittles are an easy Halloween candy choice. Look out, though – they're high on the sugar count. 60 calories per package, 1g fat, 11.3g sugar.
- Fun Size 3 Musketeers Known to many (okay, myself) as puffs of sweet air, these fluffy chocolate-filled bars have been a favorite amongst calorie-counters for quite some time. Find them hidden behind Milky Ways and Milky Way Midnights in the assorted pack. 63 calories per piece, 2g fat, 10g sugar
- Fun Size Peanut M&Ms This candy is everything you love about chocolate-y M&Ms, but with an extra, salted crunch in the middle. This favored candy pick will give a boost of energy on Halloween night. 90 calories per package, 5g fat, 9g sugar.
- Snack Size PAYDAY Meet this delectable combination of caramel and nuts. A well-loved candy option, this bite-size treat will satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt. 90 calories per piece, 5g fat, 8g sugar.
- Full Size York Peppermint Patty We all know those houses on the block that front full-size candy bars on Halloween. A favorite among neighborhood children, these houses have long lines and run out quickly. If you are one of these houses, we propose a healthier full-size candy option – peppermint patties. Clocking in at 140 calories a pop, these soft mint chocolates are around 100 calories less than other full-size bars, but just as sweet. 140 calories per piece, 2.5g fat, 25g sugar.