12 Halloween Window Decorations to Spookify Your Home
These top picks will get your home Halloween-ready in a flash.
Are you already getting excited about decorating the house for Halloween? You're not alone. If you're anything like us, you'll agree that the best thing about summer ending—in addition to the impending arrival of cozy sweaters, mugs of hot chocolate, and lounging by the fireplace (or pumpkin spice-scented candles)—is that Halloween is right around the corner. According to a 2015 report, Americans favor Halloween over all other holidays besides Christmas and Thanksgiving (that includes Fourth of July, New Year's, Easter, and even birthdays).
One of the best parts of the Halloween fun? The decorations. But if you're strapped for time and unable to DIY on your own, we've done the hard work so that you don't have to. To get you even more in the mood for this spooky holiday, we've chosen 17 of the best Halloween window decorations. They'll let visitors, neighbors, and passers-by know that Hallows' Eve is nigh—and perhaps give them a bit of a fright!
- Best Value: TMCCE Halloween Window Gel Clings
- Best for Kids: Fun Little Toys Halloween Window Gel Clings
- Most Unique: Impact Innovations Halloween Lighted Cat on Moon
- Best String Lights: [tempo-ecommerce src="http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/halloween-pumpkin-10-light-led-string-lights/5238761" title="Pumpkin LED Lights" context="body"]
- Best Strobe Light: LightShow Chasing White Ghosts Strobe Spotlight
- Best Window Light: [tempo-ecommerce src="http://www.macys.com/shop/product/northlight-lighted-spider-halloween-window-silhouette-decoration?ID=10161717" title="Northlight Lighted Spider Halloween Window Silhouette Decoration" context="body"]
- Best Door Swag: [tempo-ecommerce src="http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/heritage-lace-reg-going-batty-door-swag/1045436383" title="Heritage Lace "Going Batty" Door Swag" context="body"]
- Best for Windowsill: [tempo-ecommerce src="http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allstate-stacked-led-pumpkins-decoration/5295165" title="AllState Stacked Pumpkins" context="body"]
- Best Farmhouse Rustic Style: [tempo-ecommerce src="http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/bat-on-a-branch" title="Bat on a Branch" context="body"]
- Best Sound Effects: [tempo-ecommerce src="http://www.wayfair.com/holiday-decor/pdp/the-holiday-aisle-lighted-ghostly-faux-window-with-sound-and-tattered-curtain-halloween-decoration-w000767241.html" title="Lighted Ghostly Tattered Curtain Halloween Decoration" context="body"]
- Best Under $5: [tempo-ecommerce src="http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/bloody-hand-drips-decorations/18780.uts?Extid=sf_froogle" title="Bloody Hand Drips" context="body"]
- Best Investment: [tempo-ecommerce src="http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/primitives-by-kathy-hanging-skeleton-decoration/5321192" title="Primitives by Kathy Hanging Skeleton Decoration" context="body"]
Scroll down to read more about each Halloween window decoration and where you can shop them.
Best Value: TMCCE 107-Piece Halloween Window Clings
What better way to get in the holiday mood than to spend some time decorating? This decoration set will keep you busy and get your Halloween creative juices flowing. With a whopping 107 spooky pieces for under $10, comprising of spiders, webs, and bats of different shapes and sizes, you can have a blast arranging them any which way you please. One five-star reviewer wrote, "These stick sooo well without leaving any residue and you can move them around a few times without the sticky stuff wearing out. The clear part of the stickers is very clear too so you don't really see it around the image."
Buy It: $10.59; amazon.com
Best for Kids: Fun Little Toys Halloween Window Gel Clings
This 73-piece set of Halloween-themed window clings includes a kid-friendly mix of witches, pumpkins, bats, haunted houses, and more. They're easy to apply to glass windows—just peel and stick—without causing any damage. If you have little ones afoot, it won't frighten the living daylights out of them either.
Buy It: $12.95; amazon.com
Most Unique: Impact Innovations Halloween Lighted Cat on Moon
If bats, pumpkins, and spider webs don't do it for you, try this charming light-up silhouette on for size. It sticks to the windows with suction cups (no adhesive necessary!), which means they're easy to remove and keep using for years to come. One shopper raved that the decoration is "very distinctive, easily seen and clever, " while another praised its "not kitschy at all" design.
Buy It: $21.54; amazon.com
Best String Lights: Pumpkin LED Lights
Low-key but definitely still Halloween-y, you can't go wrong with a set of pumpkin lights. Hang these little fellas from Bed Bath & Beyond across a window for a cute and festive display. With 10 LED jack o' lanterns that provide an atmospheric orange glow, this battery-operated set of string lights is a Halloween steal at under $9.
Buy It: $8.99; bedbathandbeyond.com
Best Strobe Light: LightShow Chasing White Ghosts Strobe Spotlight
This Amazon's Choice product projects swirling ghosts wherever it's pointed. For outside or inside use, setup is as simple as plugging this little LED projector into an outlet. The ultra-bright LED technology means that the "flying ghosts" can be seen from quite a distance. "Worked much better than I thought it would," reads a five-star review. "Bright and sharp projection. Ended up buying a second one, I like the first one so much." At under $20, it won't put a d
Buy It: $19.43; amazon.com
Best Window Lights: Northlight Lighted Spider Halloween Window Silhouette Decoration
If you're not into all the horror, blood, and guts, but still want show you've got the Halloween spirit, this light-up spider could be just what you're looking for. Equipped with 35 bulbs that give off a subtle but distinct orange-yellow glow, this window silhouette from Macy's will fare perfectly even if you decide to put it outside. The company also offers glowing bats, white ghosts, and jack-o-lanterns if spiders aren't your thing.
Buy It: $24; macys.com
Best Door Swag: Heritage Lace "Going Batty" Door Swag
This "Going Batty" window and door swag from Heritage Lace at Bed Bath & Beyond is something you'd most definitely find at Morticia Addams' house—the only difference is that hers would be made from real bats, of course. It's a subtle Halloween touch that can be enjoyed from both sides of the window, and it's easy to install. Simply string onto a curtain rod and you're good to go.
Buy It: $34.99; bedbathandbeyond.com
Best for Windowsill: AllState Stacked Pumpkins Decoration
For something a little more charming and a little less gore-forward, opt for this quaint LED stacked pumpkin decoration to adorn your windowsill. The crackled glass pumpkins have soft twinkling lights, and they're stacked on a trio of witches' spell books to give off that distinct Halloween vibe while still looking sophisticated.
Buy It: $39.99; nordstrom.com
Best Farmhouse Rustic Style: Bat on a Branch
This hand-crafted hanging bat will add a unique touch to your Halloween home decor. Made from a durable, age-accelerated steel which gives it a vintage, rustic look, you can hang it right outside the window to spook people both inside and out. "This frightening little bat will hang in my foyer year-round," wrote one happy shopper.
Buy It: $40; uncommongoods.com
Best Sound Effects: Lighted Ghostly Tattered Curtain Halloween Decoration
Why stick to just visual effects when you take things up a notch and add sound to your spooky Halloween decorations too? This fake window with tattered curtain has an unnerving ghost shadow, and comes complete with ghostly lights and haunted house sound effects—perfect for ramping up the scare factor. Although it can't be used outside, it's perfect for bringing a creepy vibe to a Halloween party inside.
Buy It: $66.99; wayfair.com
Best Under $5: Bloody Hand Drips
Blood is a surefire way to creep people out—even if it's fake. These bloody handprints from Spirit Halloween come complete with realistic dripping "blood" and look great stuck to a window or a mirror. They're easy to apply and remove, and at under $5, this item is an extremely affordable way to create a spooky atmosphere.
Buy It: $4.99; spirithalloween.com
Best Investment: Primitives by Kathy Hanging Skeleton Decoration
There are a lot of cheap Halloween decorations that are great fun, but unfortunately most of them will need to be thrown out after just one use. This well-made spooky skeleton with movable joints from Primitives by Kathy at Nordstrom is built to last (it's made from plywood and metal), so you'll have it for many more Halloweens to come. At 50 inches long, it can take up a fair bit of space in the window and be admired from far away.
Buy It: $99.99; nordstrom.com