Flavor-rich Shepherd's Pie is an easy choice for dinner on a busy weeknight.
Our recipe includes traditional ground beef and potatoes jazzed up with a splash of red wine vinegar and mashed carrots.
Keep It Hot
These recipes are great to make ahead for supper or to take to a special gathering. Just remember, whether at home or away, it's important to keep hot foods hot (above 140°) and cold foods cold (below 40°). Remember the following food safety tips:
- Buy an instant-read thermometer-they're a great value and can easily go with the dish to check the temperature before serving.
- Always thaw food in the refrigerator.
- Thaw casseroles completely; then heat or cook them where they will be served. If preparing a casserole for a crowd, make it in several family-size baking dishes instead of one large food service pan.
- If heating or cooking a casserole before taking it out, transport it in an insulated chest or cardboard box lined with newspapers or clean towels to keep it hot.
- If there are leftovers, refrigerate them within two hours.
"Help Yourself to a One-Dish Meal" is from the July 2008 issue of Southern Living.