is a 25-minute, one-pan main dish.
Having chopped or shredded cooked chicken on hand is a lifesaver. You'll save both time and money. Watch for sales on chicken to get the lowest prices; then cook, package, and freeze bags of it. Supper will be ready to serve much faster. And don't forget, in a pinch, you can always use a rotisserie chicken from the deli. Round out either of these meals with a green vegetable, salad, or fresh fruit. Soft rolls are excellent to help savor all the richness by sopping the bowl clean.
For three ways to cook chicken along with how-to-freeze instructions, check out Basic Baked Chicken Breasts, Grilled Chicken Breasts, and Boiled Chicken Breasts. You'll also find 25 of our readers' highest rated chicken recipes listed below.
We enjoy the simplicity of Creamy Chicken and Noodles, but when you have a good thing, sometimes it's hard to leave it alone. Our staff is always full of suggestions to dress up recipes with ingredients that add additional flavor. Here are a few stir-in variations to enjoy.
- Chopped Ham and Peas: Stir in 8 oz. diced ham and 1 cup thawed frozen peas.
- Southwestern Style: Omit Italian dressing and Parmesan cheese. Stir in 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles and 1⁄2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Mexican four-cheese blend.
- Italian Style: Add 1⁄4 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes and 1 cup turkey pepperoni slices.
3 Different Ways to Cook Chicken
25 Chicken Dinner Winners
- Quick Chicken and Dumplings
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Corn Chowder
- Spicy Tex-Mex Chicken Cobbler
- Tortilla Soup
- Speedy Chicken Stew
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Light King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Easy Mexican Lasagna
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Hearty Tex-Mex Squash-Chicken Casserole
- Heavenly Chicken Lasagna
- Honey Chicken Salad
- Honey-Pecan Chicken
- Chicken-Cranberry Wraps
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- 1-2-3 Jambalaya
- Cheesy Chicken Curry Casserole
- Brunswick Stew
- Chicken-Olive-Cheddar Quiche
- Chicken Picante Pasta
- Cheesy Chicken Penne
- Chicken-and-Wild Rice Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie in Biscuit Bowls
"Quick & Easy: Start With Cooked Chicken" is from the February 2007 issue of Southern Living.