Get The Look: Traditional Holiday Cheer
Classic and Colorful
This living room's bold red walls and traditional architecture call for classic Christmas treatment, complete with a grand Fraser fir and a sweeping tree skirt. Elegant round magnolia wreaths hang in the windows by strips of fabric that match the room's furnishings, and gifts are wrapped to match the red-black-and-white color scheme. A loose arrangement of temple bells and fresh holly top the tree.
Temple Bell Tree-Topper
Bunch fresh holly and large gold bells on top of the tree for a fresh use of traditional materials. Use clear fishing line to secure the loose arrangement to the branches. The holly is easy to find in your yard (or maybe a neighbor’s!).
- Get the Look: Temple Bells, $19-$39; vivaterra.com
Round Magnolia Wreath
Magnolia wreaths have a sophisticated look, and they don’t shed messy needles like pine versions. Try hanging your wreath with strips of fabric used elsewhere in your room, or with pretty grosgrain ribbon.
- Get the Look: The Original Magnolia Wreath, $137 (30”D); themagnoliacompany.com
Tailored White Sofa
The clean lines and neutral color of this tight-back settee create a simple backdrop for bold patterns and colors on the decorative pillows and throughout the room.
- Get the Look: Landau Devan Loveseat (3903-02) in Slubby Natural, starts at $2,671; leeindustries.com
Every room benefits from at least one piece with a sense of history. This bench, a vintage Louis XV-style, got a breath of new life with a fresh coat of paint and new upholstery. Try this version from Wisteria as an ottoman or coffee table.
- Get the Look: Oversized Tufted Ottoman (W2929), $549; wisteria.com
Striped Knit Stocking
Chunky woolen stockings have an heirloom feel, but colorful stripes or funky patterns give them a modern spin.
- Get the Look: Tall Bosnian Handknit Holiday Stockings, $38-$55 each; sundancecatalog.com
Bold Red Walls
Red can be a bit intimidating, but this shade has a richness that keeps it from looking too fire engine. Paint the window trim high gloss white and the moving parts black for added architectural interest.
- Get the Look: Rectory Red No. 217 Estate Emulsion Interior Paint, $80 per gallon; farrow-ball.com
Round Glass Christmas Ornaments
When it comes to round glass ornaments, more is more. Most trees just eat them up, and they still look bare after you’ve gone through your whole collection of ornaments. Stock up on these extremely well priced versions, available in many colors.
- Get the Look: Glazed Ginger Velvet 2 5/8” Glass Ornaments, $4.99 (set of 8); bronners.com
Golden Pinecone Christmas Ornaments
Mix up the shapes on the tree with some pinecone-shaped ornaments. These gold models tie in with the warm metallic temple bells and bronze-colored glass ornaments.
- Get the Look: Gold Pinecones Shatterproof Ornaments, $9.99 (set of 8); bronners.com
Graphic Christmas Gift Wrap
Seek out wrapping papers that are in keeping with your decorations. This room’s black-and-white-and-red theme calls for punchy papers in the same color scheme.
- Get the Look: #1624 Blackberry wrapping paper, $6.50 (two 20” x 30” sheets); snowandgraham.com
Sleek Satin Ribbon
Package presents, hang ornaments, or embellish your wreath using multi-purpose satin ribbon, available in a variety of colors.
- Get the Look: Bright Satin Ribbon, $2.49 per roll (3/4” x 20’); containerstore.com