Enjoy a relaxing meal with friends this year.
What's your ideal New Year's Eve? Mine is eating a delicious dinner with a small group of loved ones--without spending a fortune. If you're searching for an easy menu for six, look no further. These recipes are not only simple to prepare, but they're made with economical ingredients.
Easy Economical New Year's Eve
- Pear-and-Gorgonzola Crostini
- Chicken With Artichokes
- Green Beans With Mushrooms and Sage
- Yellow rice
- Chocolate Mousse With Orange Liqueur
The day before:
- Prepare Chocolate Mousse With Orange Liqueur, and chill overnight.
New Year's Eve morning:
- Toss pears in lemon juice; cover and chill.
- Cook bacon, and set aside.
- Cut and trim green beans, and chop sage and chocolate.
New Year's Eve afternoon:
- Bring water to a boil, and simmer green beans. Plunge into cold water, and set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Slice French bread, and toast walnuts.
- Cook chicken in skillet. While chicken is cooking; sauté sage and mushrooms in a another pan.
- Assemble Pear-and-Gorgonzola Crostini.
- Finish preparing chicken and green beans.
Staples on hand
- salt and pepper
- dried Rosemary
- olive oil
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- 1 pound green beans
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh sage leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pear
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 French bread loaf
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (5-ounce) package yellow rice mix
- 1 (4-ounce) package sweet chocolate baking bars
- 4 (1-ounce) semisweet chocolate baking squares
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup Gorgonzola cheese
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 6 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 4 bacon slices