A Patriotic Table Setting
Celebrate with a Bang
Striped table runners, positioned horizontally down the table, do double duty as place mats. We love this—Add patriotic charm with classic bunting. Buy it at us-flag.com.
- Love It? Get It!
Bunting: 36" Buntings by Alabama Flag and Banner; alabamaflag.com.
- Table: custom by Jeff Brownback for Howell Designs; 256/714-3749.
- Chairs: Wood Slatted Stacking Chair by BoBo Intriguing Objects (bobointriguingobjects.com), available through Accents of the South; accentsofthesouth.com.
- Tablecloth fabric: Sola in Amarante (07720012) by Boussac through Pierre Frey (pierrefrey.com).
- Table runners: Amherst Tablerunner in Flax-Red by Libeco Home (libeco.com), available through Accents of the South; accentsofthesouth.com.
Make Your Own Place Cards
Reuse a grocery sack to create chic handmade place cards. Leave the edges torn, stamp the paper with a flag, and tie it (keeping it easy to undo!) to flatware for a casual feel.
- Love It? Get It!
Dinner plate: 14" Charger in Bone glaze; earthbornpottery.net for retailers.
- Flatware: Café Deux in Navy; williams-sonoma.com.
- Napkin: Napoli Vintage Napkin (22" × 22") in Pomegranite by Libeco Home (libeco.com), available through Accents of the South; accentsofthesouth.com.
- Stamps: similar styles available through Hobby Lobby; hobbylobby.com.
Add a Nautical Touch
For a textural centerpiece, wrap basic glass containers in rope, securing as you go with a glue gun. Filled with white hydrangeas, these DIY vases deliver understated elegance.
Serve a Southern Cocktail
Treat guests to a beverage that oozes charm. The sweet sipper features two regional favorites—bourbon and peaches—for a stylish cooldown on a hot day.
- Recipe: Bourbon-Peach Cocktail
Create a Grand Finale
Adorn boxes of sparklers with festive hand-stamped tags for an affordable and engaging party favor. We bet even the most serious adult will be lighting up the sky by the end of the night.
Meet Beverly Farrington
What makes a party Southern? Lively conversation and a good cocktail are key.
What's your silver pattern? I have several! I keep Duke of Windsor by Manchester in my kitchen for everyday use, but I use Georgian by Towle whenever I entertain formally.
Dream party guest? My great-grandfather, a German immigrant who settled in Alabama. It'd be wonderful to hear about his adventures.
Your no-fail entertaining trick? Great music! When people start to dance at your party, you know they are having fun.
How do you prevent a party from feeling too themed? Stick to a holiday's traditional color palette, but keep linens and flowers simple and straightforward.
How does location influence style? Every event should have a sense of place. This party at my boathouse celebrates the beauty of Lake Guntersville.
Love It? Get It!
Designer: Beverly Farrington, Accents of the South, Huntsville, AL; accentsofthesouth.com or 256/539-1038.