Cozy Christmas Dinner
Festive Front Entry
photo: Scott Counce dresses up the front door with an antique grape-picker’s basket filled with fragrant branches and pinecones.
Natural and Casual Elegance
Fuss Free Entertaining
As hosts, though, the Counces’ main goal is to make everyone comfortable and the occasion fuss-free. This sensibility carries over to the kitchen where Katherine, a trained chef, creates dishes with unexpected twists without being too fancy. We fell in love with her Butternut Squash Risotto and Pork Loin Roast With Carolina Apple Compote (which received our highest rating). Best of all, you can pull off this fabulous menu with plenty of time left to share with family and friends.
photo: Pinecone candles give the dinner table a warm glow. Use extra serving pieces to complement the color palette and provide protection, if needed, from dripping wax.
Try these tasty, budget-friendly wines with this festive menu.
- Goat Cheese-Pesto Crostini: Praxis, Sauvignon Blanc, California; Willamette Valley Vineyards, Pinot Gris, Oregon
- Pork Loin Roast With Carolina Apple Compote: McWilliam’s, Hanwood Estate Chardonnay, Australia; Smoking Loon, Chardonnay, California; DeLoach, Pinot Noir, California; Columbia Crest, Grand Estates Merlot, Washington
- Combine natural elements such as cut branches, sticks, pinecones, and birds’ nests with twine and galvanized buckets for a rustic presentation.
- Light candles 10 minutes before guests arrive or before sitting down for dinner.
Styling Secrets (Cont.)
- Look for opportunities to add a wreath in unexpected places such as on cabinets, mirrors, or small interior doors.
- Dress up a store-bought wreath by combining several complementary shades, textures, and lengths of ribbon.