Get The Look: Festive Holiday Entertaining
Funky and Festive Table
A mix of traditional and modern design details makes this dining room the perfect setting for a stylish holiday gathering. The large-scale floral wallpaper, limed oak table, caned-back chairs, and dramatic chandelier make for a vibrant yet comfortable look. A mix of china patterns at each placesetting keeps things casual, and a low and lush centerpiece brings the tableau to life.
Limed Oak Dining Table
Go for a light finish for the dining table, instead of a dark hole in the middle of the room. This round design comes with a leaf to extend the table to a larger oval. The base of the table consists of graphic circles and stripes.
- Get the Look: Everly Round Dining Table by Annie Selke Home, $3,597; vanguardfurniture.com
Caned-Back Dining Chairs
These Louis XVI-style side chairs have a charming antique look, which pairs nicely with more modern elements. Try upholstering the seat in a colorful fabric to coordinate with the wallpaper or window treatments in your dining room.
- Get the Look: Vintage French Cane Round Side Chair, $199; restorationhardware.com
Graphic Table Runner
Punch up the drama on the table with a bold black-and-white runner. A full tablecloth in a similar pattern might be too overpowering, but a narrow runner is more restrained.
- Get the Look: Woodblock Ink Runner by DwellStudio, $80 (pack of 2); allmodern.com
Octagonal Pewter Chargers
Juliska's pewter stoneware chargers have the old world luster of real pewter, but the easy-care benefits of stoneware. They're oven, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher-safe, plus the octagonal shape is a fun departure from standard round chargers.
- Get the Look: Pewter Stoneware Octagonal Charger Plate by Juliska, $66; theivycottageonline.com
Green-Blue Salad Plates
Avoid matching every piece in your placesetting, and mix up the hues and patterns. Drawing from the green in this room's wallpaper, these soft green glazed salad plates are a nice touch of color to the table.
- Get the Look: Salad/Dessert Plate in Vuelta Ocean Blue by Jars, $29.50; michaelcfina.com
Playful Polka Dot Napkins
Interior designer Kelly Wearstler's black-and-white Confetti napkins have a sophisticated yet playful vibe. At 22"x22", they're large enough to wrap up small party favors at each placesetting.
- Get the Look: Confetti Dinner Napkins in Ivory by Kelly Wearstler for Sferra, $125 each; sferra.com
Double-Duty Place Cards
Facilitate great dinner conversation with a TableTopics game, a collection of cards containing questions for the table. Remove a few cards from the cube and inscribe them with your guest's names or monograms to arrange seating.
- Get the Look: TableTopics Cube, $25; tabletopics.com
Funky Floral Wallpaper
Set a dramatic tone for your dining room with bold printed wallpaper, like this large-scale floral. Try hanging above the chair-rail, with solid white paint beneath, to temper the effect.
- Get the Look: Berry Flower Wallpaper in Granite by Neisha Crosland; walnutwallpaper.com
Arrange a Simple Centerpiece
Keep the arrangement low. Select a footed bowl, like this pewter pedestal. We used a square of florist foam to hold stems of seeded eucalyptus, silver brunia, and star of Bethlehem in place.
Get the Look: