12 Cakes for Christmas
From simple cupcakes to showstopping layer cakes, this easy batter makes a dozen fabulous desserts. Bake one, or try them all.
A Cake that Bakes 12 Ways:
We came up with one easy-to-make cake batter that bakes to become an incredibly delicious, velvety-rich chocolate cake. Then we paired it with a dozen of our favorite frostings and toppings--one for each of the 12 days of Christmas. Tied with holiday ribbons or garnished with fresh mint and colorful candies, these cakes are doable for anyone--novice or pro.
Related: Tips for Baking a Perfect Pound Cake
- Chocolate-Praline Pecan Cake
- Two presentations of Chocolate Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese-Butter Pecan Frosting
- Chocolate-Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Chocolate Velvet Cake With Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- Turtle Cake Chocolate Velvet Cake With Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Velvet "Pound" Cake
- Chocolate-Bourbon-Pecan Cake
- White Chocolate-Almond Cake
- Mississippi Mud Cake
- Chocolate-Peppermint Candy Cupcakes
- Chocolate-Mint Cake
Cake Freezing Tips
- Place baked, completely cooled, unfrosted round and square cake layers in large zip-top freezer bags or airtight containers, and freeze up to one month. (We recommend frosting cake layers while they are still partially frozen.)
- Three of the cakes--Chocolate-Praline Pecan Cake, Mississippi Mud Cake, and Chocolate-Cream Cheese Coffee Cake--can all be baked, frozen, and frosted in pans.
- Do not stir the morsels until finished microwaving.
- Melted morsels should retain a glossy sheen and some of their original shape. As you stir the morsels, they will continue to melt, becoming blended and smooth.